Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pet Peeves : OPSEC vs PERSEC

Let me start this off by saying that I love the fact that more and more military spouses are beginning to understand the importance of keeping OPSEC. While I still (constantly!) come across people who break OPSEC like it's their job, I am also seeing a lot more wives taking it seriously.

That being said...

It seems like there are a lot  of wives out there who do not understand the difference between OPSEC and PERSEC. Contrary to popular belief, they are not the same thing.

OPSEC stands for Operational Security. It means that you can't post things like where our service members are, what their mission is, dates of deployment/homecoming/port calls, if communications are up or down and things like that. Basically you don't want to give away any information concerning our troops. Once the military has released this information you're fine, but not until then.

For those of you who want the Dr Seuss version:

Sam I am.

Do you like OPSEC and ham?
I do not get it, Sam I am.
I do not get OPSEC and ham.
We must use it here and there.
We must use it everywhere.
You CAN share it in a car.
But you CANNOT in a bar.
You CANNOT share it in a text.
You CANNOT share it at the NEX.
You CAN say it in your house.
But should NOT tell a random spouse.
You CAN say it in the shower.
But do NOT go sharing at happy hour.
DON'T make the Ombudsman sweat.
DON'T post it on the Internet.
You CANNOT share it in a tweet.
That would not be very sweet.
Beware of Facebook and Myspace too.
It's tempting to let your feelings through.
You Cannot tell it to a friend.
NOT even at the very end.
It is a privilege to know a date.
DON'T tell ANYONE or they may be late!
Oh, I get it, Sam I am.
Now I get OPSEC and ham!
I will not tell anyone. I will keep hushed until they're done!
I will not tell him or her. I will not tell my dog with fur.
I will not tell my child's teacher. I will not tell any creature.
Thank you, THANK YOU, Sam I am.
Thank you for clearing up OPSEC and Ham!!!


I'm really getting tired of people thinking that Facebook is 'secure' because you can change your privacy settings. I really don't know how many more pages have to get hacked before everyone realizes that Facebook is not secure! And yes, that means the messages you send through Facebook are also a risk.

Remember, everything you post is another piece to the puzzle.


PERSEC stands for Personal Security. This is where a lot of wives seem to get confused. I've seen wives trying to correct each other about what they can and cannot post and claim that it is all OPSEC. This isn't true.

The whole point of PERSEC is to give you a guideline to help keep you safe at home. Posting pictures of yourself and family online, posting that you're leaving for a vacation, pictures of your service member in uniform with a visible name tape, mentioning how your husband is deployed and you're all alone, posting about that awesome 60 inch plasma you just bought...these are all examples of PERSEC. You can post it if you want, but they recommend avoiding this to keep you safe from people who would target you. Military families are often seen as an easy target come deployment time.

Consider this : There are bumper stickers you can buy that say "My heart is on _______". Cute, right? I mean we're all proud of our men, why not show it? The problem with those bumper stickers is that it's very easy to find out which ships are on deployment. If someone is looking for an easy target, you just gave it to them. They know your husband is deployed, you're probably home alone with the kids (if you have any) and all it takes is for them to follow you home to know where you live. 

The military has even been toying with the idea of getting rid of base stickers. Why? Because it makes you a target. The Air Force got rid of them back in 2007.

You aren't breaking the law by breaking PERSEC, it is your choice to post these things. You should think before posting, but if you don't that's on you.

So before you get your panties in a twist over something another wife posted, stop and consider if it is actually an OPSEC violation or not. If it is either (nicely) let them know, or contact your ombudsman. If it is just a PERSEC issue don't harass them over it.

And in the wise, wise words of Wil Wheaton... Don't be a dick!



Wil Wheaton's Blog : http://wilwheaton.typepad.com

10 comments:

  1. The VAST majority of rapes and assaults are committed by people close enough to already know, without a bumper sticker, that your significant other is deployed. #adviceforwomen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granted, but don't forget that it also leaves you open to being robbed - something that is becoming more and more common. A lot of commands are warning people not to even "check in" on Facebook because thanks to geotagging and such it isn't hard to figure out where you are, how long you'll be gone, and if they have time to rob you!

    Better safe than sorry, IMO.

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can certainly see your enthusiasm in the paintings you write.

    The arena hopes for even more passionate writers such as
    you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart.
    "We may pass violets looking for roses. We may pass contentment looking for victory." by Bern Williams.


    Also visit my webpage hack a twitter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my weblog thus i came to go back the want?
    .I'm trying to to find issues to enhance my web site!I guess its ok to make use of a few of your ideas!!

    Here is my webpage - Cartoon Sex Games

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings I am so glad I found your blog, I really
    found you by error, while I was browsing on Yahoo
    for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say cheers
    for a marvelous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

    Feel free to surf to my page - password cracker

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely indited content , thanks for selective information .


    Check out my web-site: free ps3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, its nice piece of writing on the topic of media print, we all be familiar with media is
    a enormous source of facts.

    Here is my web blog - aimbot download

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author.
    I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will come back very soon.
    I want to encourage one to continue your great job, have a nice afternoon!


    Check out my homepage: get paid for

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you ever considered publishing an e-book or guest authoring on
    other sites? I have a blog based upon on the same topics you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information.
    I know my viewers would value your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail.

    Stop by my web-site ... buy youtube views

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very fascinating, You are a very professional blogger.
    I have joined your rss feed and stay up for searching for more of your wonderful post.

    Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks

    Feel free to visit my site angry birds friends :: :
    :

    ReplyDelete