Thursday, May 24, 2012

Planning Is For Pansies




Most people actually make plans in life. I'm not talking about the what-should-we-have-for-dinner type of plans, I mean the drastic-life-change type of plans.

I don't think I've ever really made up my mind about whether I wanted to be a "planner" or not, and half the time it really seems like I'm just making it up as I go. But whereas most people will fly by the seat of their pants about unimportant decisions, I tend to over think the simple things. The big decisions are the ones I make randomly, with little to no warning. Just because I was bored.

Seven years ago I was so undecided about whether or not to renew the lease on my apartment that it literally became too late. The choice was made for me due to my own inaction. I had little interest in moving back home, and I hadn't bothered to find another living space. Instead of sitting down and making a real plan at this point, I just jumped into the first interesting thing that came up.

I sold half my stuff, stuck the rest in storage and bought a one-way ticket to Ireland. I'd never flown before, so I hoped I wasn't going to get sick. I showed up in a foreign country with a rather large backpack, a tent, a guide book and absolutely no clue where I was even going to sleep that night. It was AWESOME. I spent a few weeks traveling between Ireland and Scotland before finally flying home and getting myself another job and apartment.




Not long after that I was complaining to a new friend about my crappy job. She jokingly suggested I join the Navy.

I enlisted a week later.

People thought I was joking when I said I joined on a whim, but really that's what it was. I wasn't doing anything better at time, and it didn't seem like a bad  idea. So why not?




This week I made another random decided-in-less-than-24-hours decision. Although not quite so life-altering.

I enrolled in college.

That's right, I'm going back to school. I tried this once fresh out of high school, and let's just say that I didn't have the motivation or the discipline at the time to follow through. Also, I had no idea what I wanted to do with myself. Not really. Although I think it's rare to find a 17 year old who does.

I don't know if I'll ever actually use this degree, and to be honest I don't care. My wonderfully useful GI Bill is covering it, so the money isn't an issue. Really, I feel like I need to do this. I feel this deep need to finish something. To accomplish something.

So off I go. To college land. I was always a good student (when I cared enough to go to class) but I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. It has been years since I've been in school. I hope I haven't forgotten anything.

Here goes nothing I guess!


How about you? Ever made a big decision on a whim?

2 comments:

  1. I had NO idea about the Ireland thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you miss that? lol I have 2 albums of pictures on my Facebook. Although to be fair they're mostly all from Scotland. I liked Scotland a whole lot more. I want to go back so bad!

      Delete