Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!




I'll admit that I was pretty bummed this week as Mother's Day approached. This is my second Mother's Day. It's also the second Mother's Day Huzzy isn't home for.

When your kid is this young they can't go to the store and buy you a card. They aren't able to make you breakfast in bed or even say  Happy Mother's Day. Usually it falls to the dad to take care of these things on the kid's behalf. The same goes for Father's Day.

Last year I got my Mother's Day card a month and a half late thanks to the wonder of Navy mail. This year it actually arrived on time. So I guess I'm already having a better holiday. Huzzah!

There is not time for me to take a day off. I'm the only one here. I can't lay in bed all day and relax, I won't be getting handmade gifts and drawings and really this day is just like any other.

And I was bummed about that. (Hey, I'm human after all)

But you know what? That's not the point of today. Sure, it's supposed to be a day for our children and families to thank us. But I think it's also a perfect day for us to be thankful as well.

I'm thankful that I am a mother.
I'm thankful that I have a beautiful, smart, energetic child who loves me even if she can't always express it.
I'm thankful for all the time I'm able to spend with her, watching her grow and learn.
I'm thankful that I've had another wonderful year of this.

So I think today I will relax...kind of.

Today I'll set aside the cleaning and the chores and do what you're supposed to do on holidays - spend it with my kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment