Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Expectations vs Reality

Ah, the plight of the first time mom. You want to get your kid everything under the sun. All the toys and things that you would have wanted as a child are now yours to give your your little sprog. Spoil? What? No... Never.

I don't know if it's because I'm slightly OCD (but only on really random things) but Baby Girl's toys have to be just so. Otherwise it drives me insane. I didn't think I was going to be one of those moms. I really hope I grow out of it.



At first it was simple things. Those stupid magnetic letters. Every night I found myself finding lost pieces, fixing all of them and putting them all in order. Yeah, that was me. Huzzy used to move the pieces around just to mess with me. How do I know? Because Baby Girl can't spell naughty words yet, that's how.

One of these days I am going to have to relax my expectations a little bit. She's only a toddler, and really there's just no keeping up with the destruction. Last week I bought her a foam puzzle mat. I thought it would be so cute and colorful. Something nice for her to play on and protect my run.

What I expected:
Note that we're already missing pieces....



What I got:


Apparently it isn't a mat, it's a TOY


Five minutes. That's all the time it took for Baby Girl to completely destroy the entire mat. I've pieced it back together a couple times, but the result is always the same. I think I'm about to give up hope. So much for the nice play mat. She's already managed to lose pieces!

8 comments:

  1. LOL, I do the same thing. Hubby will put the wrong color caps on the kids' sippy cups. He doesn't care, but it drives me crazy when they don't match!

    We have the same alphabet mat, which is currently packed up for the move, but the boys also love tearing it apart. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it isn't just me! And yes, I do the thing with the sippy cups too... lol

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You would! I didn't even dare take a picture of those whole room, I was so embarrassed. My whole house is a disaster. I'll spend most of today cleaning. >.<

      Delete
  3. We have a mat that pieces together like that but it's got roads on it so Jake can drive his cars on it. We've had it for like 2 years and he just now has started to put it together to play with it. Before he'd play a few minutes and then tear it apart. I just started stacking the squares under his tool bench when he wasn't playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to have to hide some (if not all) of it. The cleanup in just getting crazy. Between this mat, her regular toys and the toy kitchen (with food!) I'm spending most of my day just picking up after her. >.<

      Delete
  4. I can relate. Once I spent all this time picking out stickers for my niece (age 3) and she just stuck them all over one piece of paper! The activity was over in 5 minutes and she didn't even appreciate the sparkly ladybugs! I try to remember not to put my expectations on how toys/games SHOULD be played but its hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's so hard not to be like, "No, *this* is how you play with it..." Oh well. :)

      Delete